|« This is about the German Language in the World.||These are the Giant Land Snails of Africa on Virtualtripping.com. »|
By Mark on June 25, 2011
I thought as the Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts, had arrived this year in the U.K, it would be a good time to write alittle bit about this exciting and impressive festival. Most people know in the U.k, know about Glastonbury and know it is a British performing arts festival, best known for its contemporary music, but also for dance, comedy, theatre, circus, cabaret and many other arts. In 2005, the enclosed area of the festival was over 900 acres or 3.6 km², had over 385 live performances and was attended by almost 150,000 people. That was very impressive back then. But in 2007, there were over 700 acts played on over 80 stages and because of this more and more people came to watch the festival and it shot up by 20,000 to a whopping 177,000.
This then mean’t that Glastonbury festival, became one of the biggest events in the U.K. This festival has become very important to the U.K, especially due to reports from UK Music, that published a report stating that Glastonbury Festival contributes over £100 million annually to the UK economy. It all began back in the early 1970s, when it was influenced by hippie ethics and the free festival movement. It began with the Isle of Wight Festival, in this particular time the main performance was by The Who, there were of course other artists. But it was when the organiser Michael Eavis stated that he decided to host the first festival,whhich back then was known as the Pilton Festival. He was taken back by an open air Led Zeppelin concert at the Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music 1970 at the nearby Bath and West Showground in 1970. The festival retains vestiges of this tradition such as the Green Fields area which includes the Green Futures and Healing Field.
There have been many bands and singers from all over the U.k and other countries who have attebded this event some of the groups are: T.Rex, David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Van Morrison, UB40, The Smiths, Joe Cocker, The Boomtown Rats, The Cure, Elvis Costello, Shakespear’s Sister, Sinéad O’Connor, Lenny Kravitz, R.E.M, Pulp, Blur, Paul McCartney, Oasis, Bruce Springsteen, Kings Of Leon, Neil Young, Coldplay, Stevie Wonder, Beyonce and U2.
There have been so many bands, groups, singers, performers, it goes on and on. So I am sorry if i missed out your favourite. But i can gaurantee, that whatever the weather it will be fun. Yes this is truely an event and what an event it is, so if you have missed out this time around, try again next year and so on. There is camping, tipis, caravans, motorhome, B&Bs and additional accommodation, like, several independent Glastonbury accommodation providers close to the main site. These include smaller campsites for tents, gypsy caravans, geo-domes, private cottages, cottages and more. So there are plenty of places to stay, plenty of places to eat and drink and party.
- Learn about Glastonbury Fayre on Wikipedia:
- Learn about Glastonbury the Movie on Wikipedia:
- Learn about GLastonbury Anthems on Wikipedia:
- Learn about the film Glastonbury on Wikipedia:
- Learn about Glastonbury Festival on Wikipedia:
- Learn about Glastonbury Festival (1914–1925), on Wikipedia:
- Learn about Glastonbury Festival 2011 on Wikipedia:
- Learn about the Workers Beer Company on Wikipedia:
- Learn about Rutland Boughton on Wikipedia:
- Find Pilton on Google Maps:
- Find Pylle on Google Maps:
- Find Glastonbury on Google Maps:
- Find the county of Somerset on Google Maps:
- Find South-West of England on Google Maps:
- Virtualtripping.com presents the one and only music performer, ‘Shakin Stevens’.
- This is the Hanami or Cherry Blossom Festival in Kakamigahara, Gifu Prefecture, Japan, Asia.
- Easter Festival’s around the world.
- Lets visit Grafton city in New South Wales, Australia on Virtualtripping.com.
- The is a revamp of the Isle of Wight in Southern England, U.K on Virtualtripping.com.
Comments are closed.